My idea for NAV is ...

List of all NAV Reports and what they are used for.

I don't think anyone knows what all of the NAV reports are. If there was a way to search all reports with descriptions of what they do and tables they reference, along with a screenshot of the layout it could save time vs. developing a custom report.

186 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt TraxingerAdminMatt Traxinger (Admin, I Love NAV) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    twarwicktwarwick shared a merged idea: A description for each report so that you can know what the report is used for without having to run  ·   · 

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin M. LavinKevin M. Lavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haha, I feel the same way... I did export all objects as text and I wrote a small c# app to go through them to look for whatever text I specify. It just fills a datagridview with the object type/number it is in and the full text line from the file - I use that to search for variables, table names/numbers fields etc... If you want to find where a field is assigned, you can quickly find all the places - but you would need to know the name and have all of the objects exported At least it shortens the number of results. I just update it the files every so often and just open the program real quick when it is needed. Maybe I'll get around to posting it up one of these days...

• kfonskfons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us create RDL reports (vs RDLC) and use them in NAV. I agree the 2009 report tool is horrendous and 2013 looks better but far from great. It would be really nice to have some reports we could import and modify like good versions of multilevel bom, where used, costing reports, etc that could be sent to excel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately the majority of the reports are not useful and I spend most of my time for clients either training their super users to create reports or creating them against user specs. And don't get me started on the report tool for RTC in 2009. The reporting tool in 2013 looks much better but not had to use yet so the jury is out!

• Steven ChinskySteven Chinsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back in Navision 2.6 and older, they once had a Report Listing. It is has long been discontinued given the expansion of Reports and the time to keep it current.

The quickest way to get a List of All NAV reports is to, if you have permission, copy and paste all Report Objects to Excel. Then you have the Names of the reports. Now you can begin to, at a minumum, write notes on what each does after running them.

Your idea is one that a lot of people look for.

Feedback and Knowledge Base